Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

I intermittently get "engine hot, AC turned off", however the

Customer Question

I intermittently get "engine hot, AC turned off", however the engine is not hot. It is a 2008 Yukon XL Denali
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I don't think it is the AC. I think the computer "thinks" the engine is hot, so it turns the AC off. Was planning to replace the thermostat and temp sensor.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far just researching. It happened a few moths ago, but only just returned today. After a few minutes, it turned the ac back on, and the temp gauge on the dash jumped back to normal operating range from zero.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: It has 94,000 miles on it, no other issues, recently serviced by GM for oil, filter, air filter, and transmission.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Most times unless the radiator was recently replaced with an aftermarket that did not include a restrictor to the surge tank this is due to a faulty thermostat. Its not actually hot what is happening is it is not getting up to full operating temperature. Try a new thermostat.. most likely that will fix it. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks