Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

08 gmc 2500 hd 6.6 Duramax and went to leave earlier and it

Customer Question

08 gmc 2500 hd 6.6 Duramax and went to leave earlier and it died and would not re-start. I unscrewed the relief screw on top of fuel filter and had fuel but the hand pump felt spongy so i pumped it up the truck started. The fuel sending unit has not been working properly since i got the truck is this a pump problem or cracked wif sensor or what. where do i start?
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: not really has about 75,000 miles and i havent had a problem since ive owned it. Other than at times i do smell diesel in the cab through a/c vents. No sign of leak where plunger it located.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitthe fuel lever float and fuel pick up is not related in the fuel tankanytime you can hand prime it and it will run is a sign there is an open sucking air from the filter housing to the fuel tankwith you smelling fuel once in a while the odds are this issue is the fuel filter housing causing this problem which is common on these enginesreplacing the filter housing and fuel filter corrects 90 % of these trucks doing thisyou can always get me back for FREE through this post even after you rate us hereif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
how are you making out ?you can always get me back for FREE through this post anytime for any follow up with this questionif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer