Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
64275627

GM Avalanche: I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche 5.3l flex fuel

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche 5.3l flex fuel with a k&n air intake. This truck runs like a champ except today I am driving a 3hr drive Through the sierras in Nevada to California and I noticed at first my rpm would fluxuate when going up hill. Then about half way of my trip (150 miles) the rpms jump to 6000 and felt as if it was coasting. I pulled off freeway checked all fluids and every thing is good. I then start the truck runs sounds fine. So I drive onto freeway and at 45 mph it jumps to 6000 rpm and seems to coast. I manually drop it down to 3rd gear nothing but 6000 rpms. I drop it to 2nd gear and it seems to be fine but I can't go any faster because I get nothing once I shift to 3rd except 6000 rpm like its coasting...????
Category: GM
Expert:  Matt C. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds very much like a trip to the transmission shop is in order. What you are describing sounds like the clutches in the transmission are burnt up. When that happens it can sometimes feel like it "improves" with temperature change in the transmission as the clutches heat up and cool down. I don't recommend you continue driving like that as it could, and eventually will, leave you stranded.