DanielJones
DanielJones, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

GM Silverado: I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. My Heat/Air

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. My Heat/Air isn't working. I have auto climate controls. I have changed the head unit, I have changed control module, cant find a bad fuse, and the blower motor/fan works if I plug it into my wifes car. Here is the strange part when I put a test light to the purple/input wire occasionally that causes the fan to start working.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
do you have a good multi meter on hand ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with everything plugged in back probing the resistor module terminals with the meter set to DC black meter lead into the block wire that does NOT do to the blower motor and the red lead to the red wire terminal what does it read with the key ON and the blower off then when you turn on the blower to high what will it read ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is seems to read right around 12v consistently, rather key is on, off, blower on high or low.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
do you have any wires or jumper wires around ?can you leave everything plugged in and truck on with the blower set to high and stick the wire into the back of the black wire terminal at the resistor module the black that does NOT go to the blower motor then run the other end of that wire to a good ground confirmed ground will the blower run ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran a jumper from the black wire going into the module to a bolt on the frame and no blower.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok if you change that ground you made to back probe the black terminal at the blower connector will it run ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes is I use my ground, and back probe the blower, its works. Definitely on high.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
so by adding a ground to the black wire terminal at the blower motor connector makes it work fine ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
and the resistor module is brand new ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with it jumped like that will the blower control operate correctly or just be on high all the time no matter what you select for fan speed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes just got it off Amazon. My old one would cause the fan to run non-stop even with the truck off. I must admit when pulling the old one out the Red and Purple wire touched causing a spark. No the fan just runs at full speed it seems.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if the red is 12 volts and the black is a good ground can you see what the purple/white wire reads when the blower is set to high and then what does it read when set to low ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The purple just seems to read 12v no matter what the setting
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if you unplug the module and test it 12 volts all the time ? are you 100 % sure on this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will unplug the module a test it that way. one minute
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I was mistaken, after unplugging the module I am not getting any juice to the purple wire regardless of speed setting.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
not even 2 volts with the truck on and the blower set to high ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Completely dead
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
that should send close to 5 volts on high then 0 when offat the back of the controller is it still showing 0 volts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So back probe the purple and white wire at the back of the control unit?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is coming out of the purple wire while back probing at the head unit.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
can you check in the under hood fuse box and be sure the fuse HVAC a 10 amp fuse is good and in the inside fuse box the fuse HVAC is good ?if you plug in your old controller will it run at high speed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plugged the old controller in and still nothing out of the purple wire, I will check the fuses.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked both fuses and are fine. still nothing out the purple wire. I know it doesn't make sense but there was a couple times when I was putting a test light to the purple wire at the module and the blower would start moving.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
lets see if another expert has any ideashang on another expert will reply back to you
Expert:  DanielJones replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can see if there are any Service Bulletins?Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GCHK23274F252093 . So I plugged the module back in, and get 12v at the module no matter what the setting, but its still reading zero at the control unit. Seems strange.
Did you check all 3 fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the HVAC 10 amp under the hood, the 10amp HVAC in the truck, and the 30amp Heat/AC in the truck.
There should be a 40amp Blower under the hood.
Here is the diagram If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower fuse is good. So where do I go from here?
You replaced the blower resistor/module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes its brand new along with the control unit.
This issue may occur if the blower motor speed is set to any speed position, except for low, when the key is turned off.Try setting the speed to low, turn key off and retry it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it. Still getting zero volts when back probing the purple/white at the control unit, and getting 12v when back probing at the module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we done?
no.
Did you try plugging it in and seeing if it worked?
Here is the GM diagnostic procedure for checking the system. If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purple /white wire is still dead coming from control unit almost seems like a fuse issue but all fuses test good. Maybe I am just doomed to have no HVAC in this truck.
There is a bulletin for this issue but involves a GM module. It could be the same thing with the aftermarket part. If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Control module and blower motor are good I believe. Maybe the head unit is my issue even though I replaced that as well, but without any juice to the purple wire I don't know what else to do.
Try checking it by the diagnostic chart using a test light and meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the climate control unit?
HVAC Connector End Views
If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So still no reading back probing the purple/white at the control unit. When everything is plugged in I get 12v while back probing Both wires that plug into the blower, but if I ground the black wire the blower runs at full speed. So do I have a bad ground somewhere before the control unit?
Which black wire are you grounding and where are you connecting it to?What condition is the plug terminals in that plugs into the resistor/module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plug itself is new, came with the new module. I misspoke the wires coming from the new module to the blower motor are purple and orange, if I jump the purple to a good ground the blower works, on high only. The purple and red wires coming from the new module are reading 12v always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if this may help but the back on the control unit gets really hot once the grey harness is plugged in.
What problem were you having before you replaced everything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only had the truck for 2 weeks, blower has never worked. I changed the module and the blower would then run all the time even when the truck was off. Then when trying to figure that out the red and purple wires touched causing a spark. I thought maybe a burnt something up in the head unit so I got a new one of those, but still nothing. So I don't know if I fryed a wire somewhere else. Sorry, to be such a hassle.
The red and purple wires coming out of the resistor/module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
It looks like you might have fried the module, I would return it and see if they will give you another one. Don't tell them you touched the wires together. If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Let me know how you make out.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a little concerned why I'm I don't get any power to purple wire from the control unit.
Did you try checking with a test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't put a test light but I get zero volts with the multimeter. But I'll put a test light to it and get a new module and then I'll rate and close the issue.
OK.Make sure the part they gave you is the crossover # ***** this GM Part # ***** If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second new module didn't do any good. I took the dash apart even farther and there is a small 8 pin harness just dangling behind the jockey box, and the passenger side junction box looks like it might be missing a harness don't know if maybe these are part of the issue.
What color wires are in the harness?Can you upload a picture of harness and location?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope this helps again thanks for sticking with it.
Can you take a picture of the end view of the connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if we can figure this issue out I will gladly pay whatever it takes.
I don't see that connector in any of the HVAC connector's.Try checking it by the diagnostic chart using a test light and meter. Make sure you use the appropriate tester the step say's to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I should be getting some kind of voltage reading from the purple/white wire coming out of the control unit?
The HVAC control module provides a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the blower motor through the blower motor speed control circuit. The blower motor changes speed based on the received PWM signal from the HVAC control module. Power and ground are provided to the blower motor through the battery positive voltage and ground circuits. 1. Turn OFF the ignition.2. Disconnect the blower motor connector.3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.4. Connect a test lamp between the blower motor supply voltage circuit and the blower motor ground circuit.5. Place the blower motor switch in the maximum speed position. 6. Place the air temperature switch to the warmest position.Does the test lamp illuminate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't light up
1. Disconnect the blower motor control processor.2. Connect a test lamp between the battery positive voltage circuit(RED) and the ground circuit(BLACK) of the blower motor control processor.Does the test lamp illuminate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the blower motor processor the same as the module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it illuminates
The blower motor processor is the thing mounted next to the blower motor. Connect a volt meter between the blower motor speed control circuit(Purple/White) and the battery positive voltage circuit(RED) of the blower motor control processor.Observe the volt meter.Place the blower motor switch from the minimum speed position to the maximum speed position.Does the voltage increase when the blower speed is increased?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get no reading on the purple when it's unplugged from the speed control module no matter the speed and once plugged into the module I get a little above 12v no matter the speed. The Red gives me 12v consistently.
Are you testing for voltage from the purple to the red?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So from my volt meter hook one probe to red and one to purple?
Yes. Red probe to Purple/White wire and black probe to red wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok back probed the red and purple going into the module and got no voltage reading. If I switched purple to black and red to red I got maybe 1v no matter the speed setting
Connect a volt meter between the blower motor speed control circuit(Purple/White) and ground.Observe the volt meter.Place the blower motor switch from the minimum speed position to the maximum speed position.Does the voltage increase when the blower speed is increased?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No when it's plugged into the module I get 12v regardless of speed setting. If it's unplugged I get nothing.
I am going to look over all your data again and see what I can figure out. I will get back to you. Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****