Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

GM: 2004 Astro van 170k miles and it stutters and has very

Customer Question

2004 Astro van
170k miles and it stutters and has very bad n tough acceleration sometimes , sometimes it gets so bad that service engine light will come on flash and then go off and I never get to catch it when I have scanner handy and unfortunately it hasn't done this in a while but it still stumbling. Also hiccups a lot when at traffic lights and stuff at idle or what have you
Seems stumble gets a lot worse when I have ac running , again it's intermittent like it can happen at city speeds as well as highway speeds but highway speeds more often
Like I'll try to pass someone up and my van will sound like the fuel
Isn't flowing properly
It's not a fuel pump issue cause that was just replaced and it was doing same thing before replacement and same after replacement
The wires and plugs were replaced about a years ago it was tuned up and that's when I tarted to get the hiccup
I'm thinking maybe a wire is somewhere in the block getting too hot or something but I didn't see this with motor cover off
Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 months ago.
I have seen this several times on the 4.3 V6 and most of the time it is due to a faulty distributor cap. Try replacing the cap and let me know if there is an improvement.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any way for me to inspect distributor cap and wires to see if in fact it a bad or defective from actors distributor cap ?
Possibly a bad cap, I have seen it before. I would say to replace it first.