Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.

HEY I have a odd thing going on, the brake interlock system

Customer Question

HEY I have a odd thing going on, the brake interlock system failed on my 98 safari, I figured it out but now the transmission will shift into gear but will not move...ever here of such a thing?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 98
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Really good, I pull into the driveway at my house and it broke there, thank goodness
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the GM Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks Pearl
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: GM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Make sure the shift level on the transmission is actually moving when you move the shifter. If not, the cable may have broken.