GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Dealing with a no start problem on my 99 GMC 3500 crewcab,

Customer Question

dealing with a no start problem on my 99 GMC 3500 crewcab, long bed 2wd 5.7 ... problem started when I pulled out of driveway in the morning about 3 weeks back ... stalled and wouldn't restart ... changed fuel filter, pump, and relay ... no change ... in process checked voltages ... have 12vdc at the relay and only 5 vdc at the pump, thinking it's a wiring problem and looking for what gauge wire I'll need
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: you already have all I know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
Which wire at the pump was showing 5v? What color was it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was the gray wire ... pump power, the sensor wire also showed 5vdc (purple wire) ...
replaced the connector still not starting ...
charging it up at the moment ...
as of now I have replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump connector and the distributor head
it has 3/4 tank of fuel, has good spark
last attempt to start squirted some carb cleaner into the air filter, still no start,
back to scratching my head