Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience GM certified
2947720

I have a gmc envoy that wont start. It has fuel pressure and

Customer Question

I have a gmc envoy that wont start. It has fuel pressure and it cranks but wont turn over. changed the ignition swiith and still nothing
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the GM Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: i dont think so
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site..What is the year make model and engine of it please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its a 2006 gmc envoy v6
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry 2005
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we did trychanging the ignition switch. It cranks but it just wont start
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
I see, thanks..Is the security light on or flashing?Do you know what the fuel pressure is at?Have you checked for spark at the plugs?.Does the engine have good compression?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the security are not on or flashing
Fuel pressure between 48 and 60
yes has spark
yes good compression
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it has crank signal
cam signal
and it has a injector pulse
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
I see, thanks. Could that be an inline 6? The only other engine that came stock was the V8..Also, does it show an RPM signal on the scan tool when cranking?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is the inline 6didnt check the rpm signal
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The truck was running fine but we had to change the altinator and then it started this
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
I see, thanks. Do the ignition coils have power to them? Spark to the plugs?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes and yes It has spark it has fuel just wont start
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do u have any ideas?? One think we were thinking is the timing could be off. what do u think????
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
That should show up in a compression test. What were the compression readings?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not sure of the reading but it did have compression
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
I see, thanks. It does seem to sound like the timing could be off, providing the fuel is good and you have spark and injector pulse. Can you possibly try a shot of ether in the intake, just to see if it will start for a few seconds?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we did try the ether in the throttle body and nothing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do u have any other suggestions??
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
Oh, then either the timing is off or the exhaust is clogged up, (which is not very likely). Sometimes they will jump time if the tensioner looses pressure for a few seconds..If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions for checking that in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,