Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I changed the fuel filter on my 2011 2500 and have a check

Customer Question

Hi Thomas. I changed the fuel filter on my 2011 2500 and have a check engine lite on now. I made the mistake of starting it with the water drain wire unhooked. Also hood open. Drove it around block. still on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I was idling it it said engine derated.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.

Neither of those things should cause the check engine light to be on. You will need a scan tool to read the codes and see what the computer is reporting, that's the first step of diagnosis. If you don't have a scan tool, you can get codes read at most parts stores for free, then come back and let me know what they are and we'll see what we can do about it.