Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Service battery charging system message is on. I have a 2007

Customer Question

Service battery charging system message is on. I have a 2007 Silverado
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The GM Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Message just came on today.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Drove the car for a while to hope battery gets charged.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: Got aftermarket radio installed yesterday from a shop
JA: Our top GM Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the GM Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the GM Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

From what you are describing here, it sounds very much like you have a failing Alternator. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

..