Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as An ASE certified Tech

I relaced the battery in my 1998 GMC SLE. Now I cannnot get

Customer Question

I relaced the battery in my 1998 GMC SLE. Now I cannnot get it started. I tried different things, but the "Security" light will not go out.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The GM Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I replaced the old battery with a brand new one. Once before i had it that the battery went dead, and after chargeing the battery, the truck would not start. We then checked fuel pump presser, which was fine. It now turns over fine and attempts to start, but will not keep running. The security light stays on when doing the 3 times 10 minute drill, the light never goes of on the first 10 minute try. I don't know if I'm doing a sequence wrong or what. AN old Chevrolet dealership mechanic told me on the phone that he thought the Security system locks out injection flow, but he is bound to a wheel chair and can't help me. HELP
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I was a Buick dealership mechanic from 1966 to 1973. So I am mechanical, but not on these computor syatems
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried doing the 3 step 10 minute sequence to reset the security system, but as i said before the security light does not go out after 10 minutes or even 30 minutes
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: no
JA: Our top GM Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the GM Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the GM Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It sound like your security system is not reading the key and that will shut of the injector. I have enclosed the steps in the link below to do a pass-lock relearn procedure. Follow it to the letter and it should solve your problem providing there are no other issues with the security system. Copy and paste the link toy our browser to open and view the steps.