Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

Radio is on mute, can't get it to work 2008 acadia, thats

Customer Question

radio is on mute, can't get it to work 2008 acadia
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thats it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the fuse, it is fine, nchecked the rear sound , it is off.
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $27 after the GM Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Does the radio actually say "mute" or is it just there is no sound?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I assume this is a MP3 radio, does it also have a single CD or Cd and DVD?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Or 6 cd?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

If the Rear Seat Audio (RSA) is turned on, the radio disables FADE and mutes the rear speakers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when you press the steering wheel button, the mute shows up on the screen. it is a 6 cd, the rsa is off
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Also, The audio system mutes the rear speakers when the RSA audio is active through the headphones.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no headphones, no sound thru any speakers the turn signals are quiet also
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Turn signals? Do they actually work? What do you mean they are quiet? Are they even supposed to make a noise?

How come you didn't mention this before?

Press any button on the radio, does the sound come back on now?

How many speakers are there? Are there any front speakers?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

You said before, "checked the rear sound , it is off." Now you are saying all of the speakers are out and the radio does say mute?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
turn signals work, they usually make a slight clicking sound, there are front speakers, tried pressing channel buttons and tried changing the band , the cd player is working but no sound. Yes all of the speakers are out, and the radio says mute.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Try pressing the steering wheel button again, do they come on now or at least the mute go off the radio?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i tried that several times, both a short press and also held the button for about a minute
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

You only should press the button once and a short press, pressing it for more than 1 second, turns on and off navigation and/or OnStar.

Leave he steering wheel buttons alone, turn off the key, turn on the key and just use the buttons on the radio. Can you turn the power on and off, volume up? Does the radio still say mute?

I don't know why the turn signals stopped making a noise. Do the indicators on the instrument cluster work when using the turn signals?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Here is the owners manual, page 3-128 is about that mute button. It's compressed cause it was over 5 mb's.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the radio turns on, volume is up. still no sound. Turn signal indicators work.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Does the radio still say "mute"?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Mike,
I have to go on a sales call, we will continue this later,
Thanks, Mike
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Did you want to continue with this or not?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Mike,
Yes , I want to continue. Also the N, S E, and West indicator on the rear view mirror is not working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Does the radio still say "mute"?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

replace the bck/up/stop fuse, in the i/p fuse block and try everything again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I'll be working outside in my yard today, but I will be stopping in to check on you from time to time, until this afternoon about 5pm, I should be in for good.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Mike,
Tried the BCK up fuse, still does'nt work. Also the back up light beeper is not working. Electrical is a son of a gun isn't it !
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Check the MSM fuse in the I/P fuse block and make sure you use a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light cause I need to know I the fuse has voltage to it or not, so test both sides of the fuse. Both sides should be hot all the time, even with the key off and go back and test that bck/up/stop fuse, in the i/p fuse block for voltage on both sides of it.