FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

My name is ***** *****. 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 with a

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: was running fine until yesterday, engine shut off and when I tried to restart, the engine cranked,fired and stopped. Next try noticed dash gauges were erratic, fuel level gauge did not move and nothing,would not crank. Jumped battery and it started, got it home, stopped and it would not crank. Checked battery and found it borderline, replaced battery and when connecting ground terminal noticed, what I thought was more spark than normal. New battery did not change situation, sometimes will crank and fire but not stay running; other times it will do nothing, lights dim and no crank.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light comes on when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The check engine light does not come on when the key is turned on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Disconnected battery and reconnected, turned key on and check engine came on, dash gauges normal, tried to start, cranked and fired only. Turned key off and then on again, gauges did not move dash lights, 4x4 panel lights flashed on and off. Would not crank.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. It sounds like you have a failing ignition switch. These symptoms will commonly occur when it fails. You can test it if you have a voltage meter.