Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I was checking my mail when the radio started making funny

Customer Question

I was checking my mail when the radio started making funny noises then all the electrical started making noises then the engine quit. I tried to jusmp start and it did but nothing would work then it shut down again. Whats going on I have to move it it's on the side of the street The key is in the ignaition and won't turn back
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yea between me and my husband
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jump start
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: I don't think so it was running just fine before all the bells started going off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you tell me the year and make and model of this vehicle ?

so right now its 100 % electrically dead ? will the horn work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004 GMC Envoy
Right Now yes and I am not out side with the car so I don't know if the horn works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to run out and check
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok 99 % of these dead and the key will not even come out is a big sign the battery cables are NOT clean and tight or the battery is dead or the battery went dead due to the alternator is not charging the battery back up

go make sure both battery cables are clean and tight if both are remove and replace the battery and see if it will start up the odds are it will and be fine if it will start up but the battery will go dead after a while then the alternator needs to be checked to be sure it is charging

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it nothing the key still is in the ignation
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if the battery cables are clean and tight then replace the battery and then get it running and have the alternator tested at your local auto parts store they will test it for free

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other ideas
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

i just told you in the last 2 posts what to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we tried them and it has not changed anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will try to find someone to test the alternator I'm sorry if I upset you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it still won't start; the key is still in the ignition so am not sure what you want me to do to get it running, jump start it again or what?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

replace the battery next and see if it will start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is hard to replace the battery when we can't get anywhere to get one.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help?

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris