GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just replaced the intermediate steering shaft on my 2005

Customer Question

Hello, I just replaced the intermediate steering shaft on my 2005 yukon denali and an error message now reads service stability. I accidentally turned the wheel while the shaft was disconnected...any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats the sum of the issue...fairly simple I belive it may have to do with the centering of the steering wheel prior to reattaching the steering shaft however i am unsure how to center the steering wheel
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 9 months ago.

It is possible that there was damage to the steering wheel angle sensor when that happened. There is a service procedure for installing the new part. It basically says to reassemble with the wheels straight ahead and then remove an alignment pin pre-installed from the factory. Once done a scan tool will be needed to run a set-up test to initialize the new sensor.

Was this information helpful to you?