GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

2002 Envoy the mirrors are hard to adjust now and they never

Customer Question

2002 Envoy the mirrors are hard to adjust now and they never return to the "saved" position. When backing up they go where they want and are hard to adjust so I can see behind me. It's like they are sticky....?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Was hoping, yes
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Bob replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Do you want to disable that feature so they don't move when you backup?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I want them to work like they did when they were new. They are glitch and hard to adjust
Expert:  GM Bob replied 9 months ago.

I found a bulletin.

Some customers may comment that the outside rearview mirrors do not return to their original position after using the reverse tilt (curb view assist) feature

I need your VIN#

When you say they a glitch. Do they stop moving when you manually adjust them? Do both mirrors act the same way?

Do you have to fiddle with the switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have to fiddle. They used to be smooth in their operation, now it clicks and jumps ...not smooth. Yes, both mirrors are affected. VIN# *****
Expert:  GM Bob replied 9 months ago.

I think you have two problems.

The jumping/clicking mirror is usually a problem in the mirror its self. They are a sealed units.

Here is a link on the bulletin I found for the other problem. The build date is 4/26/02

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gtq0yowqs7y8es9/AAAyRBpxQL_yJ6cXgq5Fc5tUa?dl=0

I hope this helps if not let me know

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We got the update years ago. It seems more mechanical than electronic. Is there a way of lubricating the mirror movement? It almost "groans" when in motion.
They are getting along in years, but this has been a great car for us (purchased new) and hate to trade it in yet. Sentimental I guess.