Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

Is my name 1998 buick lesabre starts and runs five to ten

Customer Question

is my name 1998 buick lesabre starts and runs five to ten min. then dies will start agaian but not good till it sits for five or so got new fuel pump and filter in it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when it goes to die it runs rough then chugs out can save it at times if you gas on it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One very common component that causes this issue here that I have had to replace several times before is the crank position sensor itself.This sensor will fail to send a signal to the engine computer on the crank shaft position.This is most common after the engine has ran a bit or coming to a stop.When it acts up the vehicle usually has to sit anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes or more before it will restart and run.In allot of cases this sensor when it acts up will not cause a fault code to set making it difficult to diagnose.

With what you have described here this sounds like the component at fault on your model here needing replaced.This sensor is located behind the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and can take around an hour to replace.The part itself is usually less then $100 and can be purchased at a dealer or parts store.This does require a special puller to remove the crank pulley/harmonic balancer to replace it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ghjiysuhfp2yml/cr-01-28.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete i put in the crank poistion sensor and had same thing about five min. then dies wont start till it sits a few
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Are there any fault codes setting with this issue here at all?

Have you tested fuel pressure and spark when it will not start to see if these are present?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.