Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

I have a 2004 Tahoe. Several weeks ago while driving home

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 2004 Tahoe. Several weeks ago while driving home highway speed the car seemed to "choke" and lose speed. I looked down and it read "stability system disabled engine speed reduced. I pulled off the highway and turned my car off, waited a few minutes and restarted. It went back to normal. This morning it did the same thing. I pulled off the side of the road..again. The first time restarting it it still had the same message. I waited a few minutes longer and it reset to normal. I'm occasionally driving grandchildren on the interstate. This won't do! I just had four new tires put on, but that was after the first time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually causes the sudden loss of power and the stability message here can be a fault with the throttle body itself.The throttle body electronic sensors can fail like the throttle position sensor and cause this issue here and is common.In some cases you can have the throttle body cleaned to clean the carbon from the bore and bore plate to correct this here and in other cases it may need replaced as an assembly.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.Most shops or a dealer can check the codes and do the diagnosis as well for this fault here.In some cases you can get the fault codes read out free of charge from a local parts store as well like Auto Zone to see what codes are set then diagnosed and repaired from there.

The codes do need checked to help locate the fault here for repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete