GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Im ***** *****. Had the alternator replaced in my 2002

Customer Question

Customer: Im ***** *****. Had the alternator replaced in my 2002 envoy. It used to idle at 1000 rpm. Now it Idles at 500 roughly and I got a ck engine light and the smell of burnt something in the cabin.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Wife reports a "engine Stop" light but I didnt see it or the :Check Engine " light. Vehicle has 170k and runs otherwise well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. I Am sorry to hear about this issue on your vehicle.
This is a common issue on the 4.2L engine. What happens is the system was likely reset because of the battery being remove. Then when it was hooked back up, the adaptations it had learned specifically for the throttle have been erased. To correct this, take the upper intake plenum off, the black box that says 4.2L Vortec. There are 2 10mm bolts and 2 hose clamps. Then clean the throttle plates with a rag and carb cleaner. After that, take the battery cable off and reset the vehicle. This should fix this.
Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle. And the reset is more about touching the cables together when removed from the battery than having them removed. touching them together its what drains the capacitors and resets the short term memory.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow. Touch them together. I'd never have guessed. I did notice the seat and mirror memory was different than before.

Did that change them?