GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2008 SIERRA 2500HD 6.6 CREW CAB. FUELED UP AND LESS THAN A

Customer Question

2008 SIERRA 2500HD 6.6 CREW CAB. FUELED UP AND LESS THAN A MILE LATER, SOUNDS LOUND UNDER THE HOOD LIKE THE EXHAUST HAS A HOLE IN IT. REALIZE THAT THE RPM'S ARE DROPPING, LET OFF THE PEDAL AND IT SHUTS OFF. TRIED TO START AND IT STARTS AND SHUTS OFF. THE WIF SENSOR LIGHT WAS NOT ON.
Category: GM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THIS MORNING, TRIED TO START, BUT BATTERIES SEEM TO BE DEAD.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I am Cam.

I am sorry to hear about this issue. The first thing that jumped to mind is the fuel. Did you add gas to it when you fuelled it up? It would stop about that fast and act exactly like you described.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DEFINITELY USED THE DIESEL PUMP

Ok. What happens when you try tp pump the plunger on the top of the fuel filter, does it pump with some resistance like there is fuel being pushed? Does fuel leak out anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know anything about the plunger and am not a mechanic. It will be towed to the diesel shop, just thought you might have an idea what it could be.

As I mentioned, the first thing that came to mind was fuel, but if the proper pump was used then it could be a fuel filter that came loose, is plugged up, possibly even a plugged exhaust filter but then you should have had a message on the dash about the exhaust filter..

The filter on the engine has a small silver plunger on it. This is the passengers side by the battery under the duct that runs from the air filter to the engine. Pushing that is what I was talking about.