GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

, 2002 GMC Yukon - if we allow the fuel to get less

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** -
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2002 GMC Yukon - if we allow the fuel to get less than half a tank, and turn the vehicle off, the vehicle will not start - letting it set a day or two, it still will not start - each time, we have had it towed to the shop, and it will start with no further action, so, deductive reasoning, perhaps 'bouncing around' dislodges something, allowing it to start - your thoughts please.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: BTW, the engine does turn over
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Forgot to add, the engine does turn over - seems like it is not getting any 'fire' though
Category: GM
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

Each time it want start the fuel is below a half tank? And you tow it and it starts. The first thing to do is to confirm that the reason it want start is no fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump running when it want start? It is possible that either the pump or the strainer has come loose from its mount causing fuel to not be picked up below a certain level.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can hear the pump running - also, I went through several sequences of turning the ignition to the 'on' position for 15 seconds and turning it off and it still will not start.
Also, if the pump or strainer came loose as you stated, wouldn't it fall to the bottom of the tank allowing it to pick up fuel at an even lower level then half a tank? 😀

In theory you are right, I had a chevy pick up were the strainer and pump had come loose and got hung sideways on the mount, i guess were it was floating at the time, and would do the same thing your truck is doing. Does your yukon have a fuel filter? IF so pull it and check it just to see if it is full of trash. If you can hear the pump running, have you checked fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It does have a fuel filter, and no I have not pulled it.
I fail to see how what you describe would cause the intermittent starting, in other words, what does the fuel level have to do with it? What am I missing? I do not want to drop the tank and replace the fuel filter and pump, I'm trying to determine if someone else has had this same issue with this model Yukon. Perhaps the fuel tank level is completely incidental, but it is a common factor to every time we cannot get it started.

I understand sir. Well then i would drop the filter and make sure it is not stopped up. Lets forget the fuel issue altogether. When it want crank we need to check the fuel pressure. I work on these trucks everyday and the number one issue for no start is fuel pump. So lets check the pressure

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sir, you are troubleshooting, I'm looking for someone who has experienced this problem before.
Did I not state this earlier?
I would speculate that, a vehicle this old, may of had this problem before, and that is why am asking for someone who is had this same problem.

Sir I have already ran your vehicle through a national database of pattern failure records of confirmed repairs and came up empty, i told you of a similiar problem that i had with a vehicle. And at this point the thing to do would be to help you diagnose your problem.

I am sorry this is not a common problem as you were hoping it to be. If you are not happy with my approach or information I will opt out if you would like. But if you give me the chance I will help you fix this guranteedl\

Sir I have not heard back from you. I want you to know your satisfaction is of the upmost importance to us here. Please tell me what I can do to gain your satisfaction, I can help you or I can opt out.