GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 4x4 engages. Driveshaft turns but nothing from the diff

Customer Question

Hello, my 4x4 engages. Driveshaft turns but nothing from the diff to the wheels. I was doing donuts in a field when I heard a bang and the front wheels quit turning
Category: GM
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also it makes no noise in diff when moving
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Something obviously broke in your front differential. To figure out what that is, you will need to remove your differential cover. Are you trying to find overhaul instructions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm trying to find what to look for once I get into the diff. What are my options on what could have broke. I don't know much about the newer trucks. I've owned 70's and 80's gmc 4x4 up until now. Thanx

I see.. Sorry for the delay.. To be honest if I were to say anything it would only be guesses since there's more than one possibility. Have you removed the cover yet? If you have, you can take a picture and upload it right here and I can let you know what it is and give you the instructions to replace it.. I am certain that once the cover is removed, the damage will jump right out at you.