FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

99 GMC ***** ***** - no start - have fuel at the rail - have

Customer Question

Customer: 99 GMC ***** ***** - no start - have fuel at the rail - have spark - changed rotor wires spark and fuel pump - still now start - cranks okay
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Said it all
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have to go - will need to cancel in 5 min - what's the timeline?:
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
JA: you there?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. I am sorry that no one has gotten to you sooner. Are you still available or me to assist you with this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Lets see what we can do. Can you tell me if the engine died while driving or did it just refuse to start? Is the security light on when cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Jimmy died half way out of the driveway - (girld friend left it there) - I was able to start it and pull it up 10 feet - hasn't started since - I am not sure the security light is on during crank - but I remember (per random google vid) noticing that the security light stays on for 2 seconds and then shuts off.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It chugged bad up the driveway.

Did you actually test the fuel pressure? Did you try adding some fuel directly into the engine to see if it will start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
From there I changed the rotor - cap plugs and wires. - No joy on start.
Then I tested the coil pack it showed spark.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 60's in fuel presure - changed the filter too - the fuel gauge didnt' work prior to the break down - the fuel gauge now reads - I heard the fuel pump go on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sprayed a couple squirts of starter into the hose coming off the break thing - it chugged a little but did not start - any other attempts to start by spray fluid is - no joy then a loud bang.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tested all the spark plugs (except 1) - with an inline tester - they light up but the spark is red and takes a second as the engine cranks.

You may want to do a compression test to make sure that the valve timing did not jump. What I am suspecting though is a security system issue. If the security light is on while cranking the engine then it is the problem and is keeping it from starting. If it is not on and if compression is fine then it may have ignition timing that is off due to a failing crank sensor. A new one would need to be installed and then a relearn procedure would need to be done with a scan tool that has the right capability.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No security light - on while cranking - I seem to smell (what smells like starter fluid) every time I try to start. Any chance I messed up when I changed the rotor? I think it only went on one way. I could try change the crank sensor. What type of scan tool would I need to relearn $$$ ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did get a random missfire code at first - looks like the check engine light is still on - but now I can't get the scanner to see the code.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It says no codes found -

The rotor should only go on in one direction. The way that I would check fuel being fuel related is by adding starting fluid straight into the engine where the air filter tube connects. You would need a higher end can tool like a TECHII to do the relearn if it was the crank sensor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any reason why I am getting the back fire type bang when I spray the starter fluid?

You would either get this from the ignition timing not being correct or from an internal engine issue causing the valve timing to be incorrect.