Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

My 1996 GMC Jimmy has a bad vibration to it and I believe it

Customer Question

my 1996 GMC Jimmy has a bad vibration to it and I believe it is in the rear end and I think it's the Wilburys cuz I check the wheel bearings in the rear end and there's a hole punc clunk clunk clunk to it and I want to know how that you're supposed to replace the rear wheel bearings
Category: GM
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, so you need to replace the wheel bearings? or axle bearings persay, if so have you started the job or just need the steps invloved?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have attempted to process but for some reason I could not figure out on how to get the C clip out so I threw it all back together because I had to drive to be able to get back and forth to work its got a bad crowd and it bad and I don't know what to do
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't just afford to call you online right now you are going to have to just text me back I'm sorry

Bear with me a little bit and I will send what I can, thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks

you need to remove the small screw that is holding the pinion shaft , meaning , remove that screw, then you have to turn the diff by hand to kind of line up things and then the shaft will slide out, Once that shhaft is out, you can then get to the C clips, Its a little hard to explain but will make more sense when you locate and remove that small screw that is holding the shaft you need to slide out, Then? you can get the axles out and pop out seal and bearings, Here is a link showing location of that small bolt, The picture shows the shaft removed

1. aise and support rear of vehicle, then remove wheel and brake drum on side axle is to be replaced.
  2. Loosen carrier cover bolts and allow lubricant to drain, then remove bolts and carrier cover.
  3. Remove rear axle pinion shaft lock screw, then the pinion shaft, Fig. 2 . Discard the lock screw.
  4. Push flanged end of axle shaft toward center of vehicle, then remove "C" lock from button end of shaft.
  5. Withdraw axle shaft from housing using caution not to damage seal.
  6. Reverse procedure to install.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've had the pin out to be able to slide the axles in but I just can't get the c clips out to pull the axles out what do I do or need to get the clips out?

unsure, This was why I asked what you had done, The pin removed, push in on each axle and the clips slide right off, I have never had one on 37 years in which the c clips would not come off, They slide off easily so unsure why you cant get yours off, as long as you have pushed the axles inwards to expose the clips

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do both axles have be pushed in at the same time all the way to the center in order for the clips to just come right out?

nope, you can only push each in say 1/2 " jsut to expose the clips so they slid off the ends , you can do one side at a time or both in at same time, does not matter

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I did try that and they would not just slide right, does it make a difference that it is an all wheel drive vehicle

unsure why you cant slide the clips off, I have never seen that, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts. One should be along soon to help, Save the rating for the expert that helps , Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you and Merry Christmas
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

Do you still need help here