GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have an electrical issue with my 2001 GMC Sonoma truck. My

Customer Question

I have an electrical issue with my 2001 GMC Sonoma truck. My headlights refuse to turn on, both low-beam and high beam. I have checked all the fuses and none are blown. There is a headlight power relay in the fuse box, and here's the weird thing: If I have the headlight switch turned off, I can feel that relay click when I flash the high-beam switch (but the lights still do not come on, and the dashboard indicator for high beams won't light-up either). If I turn the headlight switch to the "on" position, the aforementioned relay does nothing when
trying to once again to flash the high beams. WTF.... Where is thr ground connection for the headlights?
Specifically, this is a 2001 GMC Sonoma, 2WD 4 cyl 2.2L
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** is a pretty advanced setup as far as wiring goes for headlights so lets start by checking to see if one of the pins at headlamp grounding relay have good ground, it should have ground at all times. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're saying I should check the power socket that the relay fits into first?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Correct. One of the pins should have constant ground, if not we will check ground locations. Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will get back with you in a day or two, I borrowed a different vehicle to drive so I won't get pulled over (and of course my truck is now on the other friggin' side of town. GRRR.....
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know when you get a chance to do test and we will go from there. Thanks again and have a good evening.