Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 35 years, Foreign/Domestic repairs
13677702

I have a 1997 Chevy 2500 Van it has a vortec in not sure if

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Chevy 2500 Van it has a vortec in not sure if it is a 305 or a 350 got it from my brother that died month ago . When I turn it over it backfires through the breather and almost wants to crank but won't has gas in it
Category: GM
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, can you get me the 8th digit of the VIN reading from the left?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a m letter M
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

has this truck been sitting?

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

What you have is a fuel meter assembly under the intake, This is sort of fuel injectors but actually called Poppets, They have big time problems and tend to leak a little fule into the cylinders when sitting, You are cranong and it is trying to fire on all 8 but cant do to fule soakes cylinders, a couple + of them so,, to correct and get running, you have 2 options. option one may? not work,. but worth a try, Hold gas pedal to the floor, crank adn crank with it held and hope is does a clear flood, If not? then all you can do is remove as many spark plugs as you can do/get to, crank engine with plugs out to dry those cylinders, then dry off plugs, put them back in and hold pedal to floor and it should try to fire and should fire, could run rough first few min but will clear out, This condition was very common back when they had this design fuel delivery, I am near 99% certain this is what is happening,I inlcuded a link to the assembly piucture