GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just replaced the intake gaskets in my 2004 3800

Customer Question

I just replaced the intake gaskets in my 2004 monte carlo 3800 supercharged. had did a coolant replacement. then decided to change the oil. the oil was very milky. just purchased thethe car and the oil was fine. torqued every thing to specs. PLEASE HELP
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

hi there, I am Cam. I am sorry to hear about this issue.

When you say milky, did it look like a chocolate milkshake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be from the gasket replacement. Had a universal amber coolant before i flushed now put dexcool in

OK, so I am sure you know that means there is coolant in the oil. You changed the intake gaskets and oil. Does it get more in the oil now?
To get the oil that bad would mean longer time with the coolant in the oil.

What I would do is watch your coolant level and oil level VERY closely. If you see the oil return towards the milkshake, understanding that it will take a bit to flush out the old oil, then you will need to do the head gaskets. I would add some Lucas oil treatment to help protect the engine bearings from the coolant that was in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never put new oil in yet.. Had good oil before i started. Really didnt see anything wrong with the gaskets

Ok, the oil was clean prior the change??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dirty but not milky

How long did you run it following the repair then?

If there was coolant that got into the oil and you ran it for a time then yes it could be from the blower replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 10 minutes

Ok, change your oil and filter, then evaluate it again. IF it continues, it means you either have a leaking intake gasket again or your head gaskets are going bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually i backed the car outside to turn it around to put it on the lift then i put the coolant in the drained the oil. never started it up

OK so you have new oil now, and is it, the new oil turing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never put the new oil in yet.

OK, proceed with your oil change and drive it. Evaluate it over the next few days. If you loose coolant and the oil gets really milky then its gaskets. If not then its just a result of your repair. I always change the oil BEFORE starting it after these sort of repairs so the junk that fell in the pan gets flushed out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try that

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.
Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.