Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

I have a 2007 gmc that wont start but lights ,radio and dash

Customer Question

i have a 2007 gmc that wont start but lights ,radio and dash lights work .when I try to start it lights and radio don't work and no kind of noise from starter. I have 12.4 v at starter?
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

does the small purple wire stud at the starter solenoid show 12 volts at it when you hold the key to crank position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got 12.4 v at the positive post on solenoid.. been an ongoing problem for a month or so...sometimes i get nothing when i try first key position then i jiggle the negative wire going from battery and then starts, but now it gives me dash, lights and radio and when i try starting position i get nothing
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are you sure right now both battery cables are clean and tight and the battery tests good ?

if so can you put your fingers on the starter relay in the under hood fuse box and do you feel that relay click every time the key is held to crank ? will it crank if you wiggle the relay at all when the key is held to crank position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try in a bit ..got to go to truck will let you know in a bit
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

if you feel it click then test the small purple wire stud at the starter solenoid for 12 volts when you hold the key to crank position

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no click from relay when trying to start and the purple stud on the solenoid is the only place i could find 12 volts on the starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the purple stud has constant power even when it is not being started
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are you sure ?

if so if you pull out the crank relay will it still show constant power ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the positive from battery go straight to the purple stud ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

not it goes to the stud next to it and is a big cable and should show 12 volts at it all the time

the purple is the smaller wire on a separate stud and should only show 12 volts with the key in the crank position

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the purple wire stud smaller than the constant 12v stud if so the smaller wire/stud did not have 12v when trying to crank.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok and you did feel the relay click correct ?

if so if you pull the relay out with the key OFF does one of the 4 terminals in box show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how strong is the relay click because i didn't feel anything ...ill check again tomorrow am and test for 12 v in box
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know

you can always get me for FREE back through this post anytime with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer for any follow up anytime as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here