AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Side doors on both sides of my 2005 GMC Savana van are out

Customer Question

side doors on both sides of my 2005 GMC Savana van are out of alignment. How do I get them back in alignment?
Category: GM
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I have here an adjustment procedure for the sliding doors on your van I can upload for you if you would like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not sliding doors. I think they are called 60/40 doors. They open out. Both side are out of alignment and are difficult to open and close. You can look at them when they are closed and see that the line of the doors are off.

.

Ok. What happened is the hinges have gotten sticky and started to bind up. When that happens more and more force is required to open and close the doors which over time bends the metal. The only real fix for this is new hinges, but if you would like to take pictures and upload them, I can verify that with certainty.

Does it seem like this is likely the case in your situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hinges are certainly binding, but the doors are also not flush. You can see that out of alignment.

There is not an adjustment procedure for these doors. Only sliding doors. There is however a procedure to replace the hinges. When the hinges bind up, and you close the door the hinges won't swing in as much as they should and the door will not be aligned. There will be a large gap between the door and the door jam on the side with the hinges. Is there a large gap between the door and the door jam?

Try lubricating the hinges really well with wd 40 and see if you can't get them to move freely. Let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing back.

Hi. just wondering how the hinges worked out?

Please be aware that any money you have paid is in a deposit account here on JustAnswer
and has not been paid to me. I do not get credit until you are ready to rate me at or above
3 stars (I try for all 5 stars) If you do not feel as though you are able to rate me at or
above 3 star,please let me know and I will do everything I can to assist you until you are
satisfied. Please do not resort to leaving a negative rating. Follow ups are always free.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with your automotive concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lubricating them did not help. If there is no adjustment procedure I assume the will have to be replaced.

Yes. In that case they will. Are they screwed in? or welded?