Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

I have a 1994 buick regal with a starting problem. After

Customer Question

I have a 1994 buick regal with a starting problem. After driving for a while and parking, Ill go to restart the car, the starter will not activate and start the engine. I pop the hood and wait for 20 min and it starts. when the key was turned I would hear the solenoid working, but the starter would not activate and turn the engine. I replaced the starter and it still happens. I checked the security key system and it doesn't seem to be that.
3.8 liter engine, auto transmission, 98k miles. new starter.
Any ideas?
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi meter.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

when it will not crank and you head the starter relay click can you see if the small purple wire at the starter solenoid shows 12 volts at the small stud it is connected too every time you hold the key to crank position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I placed the volt meter on where the purple wire connects to the starter. When the key is turned the meter reads 5 volts. I disconnected the wire from the starter to make sure it was not grounding out and I get 10.8-11.5 when the key is turned. I checked the main power cable to the starter and got 12.5 (battery voltage). Now the solenoid doesn't even make a sound.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the purple wire only showed 5 volts ?

with the key ON if you jump the small purple wire terminal to the big power wire terminal at the starter solenoid will it crank over and start up with the key ON ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a jumper wire from the big power terminal to the purple wire and the engine starts and runs like normal. I did this when the car would not start by just turning the key.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you can jump the starter and it will run fine then this issue can be the power from neutral switch either not getting power in or out of it

can you see when holding the key to crank if the yellow wire at the neutral switch on the top of the transmission where the shift cable connects to the transmission shows 12 volts at it when holding the key to crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did my best to get to the yellow wire close to the neutral switch. I followed the yellow wire to just under the air intake. I only got 6.6 volts, battery was at 12.4.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what does the purple read at the neutral switch when holding the key to crank ?