GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just replaced the battery in my 04 sierra 5.3l and it

Customer Question

I just replaced the battery in my 04 sierra 5.3l and it keeps stalling now. The battery completely died so I went and got another, replaced it and as soon as I backed it out, it stalled. Did this 3 times. I let it sit for a bit and then cranked it to let it warm up. Once it was at temperature I tried to drive it, made it about a mile before it stalled while I was going about 25mph. Cranked it back up and it stalled again after a few hundred feet. Barely managed to get it back home.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I am Cam. Can you tell me your first name please? Also can you tell me the 8th digit of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** 8th digit of the vin is T

When it was running, did you have any warnings on the dash? Any repairs before all this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just bought the truck about a month ago. Haven't done anything to it. The truck has run fine since I've had it. Even when I jumped it and drove it home it was fine. I'm worried it may be the fuel pump?

Fuel pump is possible, but why the battery is going dead does not fit with a fuel pump but lets see. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery died because it was old. Once I replaced it, everything is fine. The problem is now it's stalling. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge.

Ok, what does the fuel pump sound like in the tank? Is it a quiet even electric motor noise or does it seem very high pitched or erratic when its running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't listened to it yet. In the morning I will have someone turn the power on so I can listen to hear the fuel pump. Just wondering what other things could cause this issue of it isn't the fuel pump

IF the pump is not an issue then it may be a connection, something in the underhood fuse block. Ground wires such as the ones under the drivers door on the frame. That is the ground for the fuel pump.. But for the pump we can check that with the pressure gauge. There is a test port on the passengers side of the intake manifold. Spec is 55-62 psi while its running and hold that pressure for 5 mins. If it drops fast or does not meet that spec then we are indeed looking at a bad fuel pump assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the gear matter? The truck will stay on when in park but when shifted into reverse or drive is when it will stall.

That still could be the pump, in gear changes the load on the engine. Otherwise we are looking at a connection still. Grounds located on the back of the left cylinder head, top back of the block, front of the right cylinder head, block down on the sides could be loose as well. Until you get a gauge, move the wiring around to see if you can recreate the issue. Also check the duct from the engine to the air filter. If that was loose and coming off it would also cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will look at it again tomorrow

Sounds good.

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.