GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2013 gmc denali dually with a 6.6 liter duramax hd.

Customer Question

I have a 2013 gmc denali dually with a 6.6 liter duramax hd. I have had the DEF system replaced twice in 50000 miles. I now have a message "service Def system, check owners manual now." Is this a common problem with this motor?
Category: GM
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 1 year ago.

I have run into many DPF issues on the newer Chevys. Most of the time there will be a code saved in the PCM denoting an error and a limp mode is standard to enter. Issues with the DEF tank, heater, and pump are common as well as the injector that injects it, so much in fact that GM has provided multiple revised parts. And as you've already experienced, DPF plugging is common. Are you running any type of programmer? Or are you adding any type of fuel additive? If the DPF is plugged there are many methods for "cleaning" it, some proven some not. I do think that pulling a code may be the next step.

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, do you still require help?