Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

I have a 1995 k1500 5.7 and a 4L-460E it will only shift

Customer Question

I have a 1995 k1500 5.7 and a 4L-460E it will only shift from 1st to 2nd if you let off of the gas and it's spitting fluid from the vent hose. I've changed the fluid and filter.The fluid smells burnt any ideas where the problem is. Thanks
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

with it boiling and or spitting fluid out of the vent even after the filter change is showing something inside that transmission is over heating the fluid and causing this issue and the odds are there is a clutch pack or band slipping causing the fluid to over heat

especially if that fluid smells burnt i am sorry to say to fix this problem the transmission needs to come out and apart and more than likely rebuilt

also when you have transmission issues like this the transmission cooler built into the radiator must be changed as any particles from this failure going on from inside the transmission will restrict the cooler flow and will cause a new or rebuilt transmission to fail within 100 miles or under

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?