Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How can I make my own hardtop Humvee/Hummer H1? They are

Customer Question

How can I make my own hardtop for a Humvee/Hummer H1? They are very much like the jeep wranglers that are open, but have soft top and hard top options. Can I use plywood covered with fiberglass or sheet metal? Or is there an easier method for making a
hardtop?
Category: GM
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

How safe do you want to be because plywood would not meet any safety guidelines.

If you live in a state with safety inspections, you need to find out what the safety requirements.

Is this going to be just for off road use, or are you planning to drive it on regular roads and highways

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plan on driving it on road. It would either be a hardtop that I make, or a soft top tarp. Do you know an alternative material I can use to make a hard top? I was thinking starting with a wood panel for it's workability then adding a layer of fiberglass or metal sheet on top of it. Sort of like RV walls.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I can come with some plans for it as I have done custom fabrication which is what is called for here to do it both where it looks decent and meets safety standards. But this takes several hours of design work on my part to get you all the dimensions and then directions on how to build it. If you are interested, I can send an additional services offer, but I will be honest, it wont be cheap. It will be at least $100, possibly more once I figure up what my manhours will be for this. But that is a fraction of what you will pay a fabrication shop to do the same thing - provide detailed blue prints for design and directions on how to fabricate this at home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds fair. 1. what do you think ball park it would cost me to make? 2. Can you design a slant back hardtop like the picture attached? The military hard tops are actually slant like that but without windows 3. I need to make hard doors too.