FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

97 GMC extended cranking but then it starts and runs fine. i

Customer Question

97 GMC extended cranking but then it starts and runs fine. i just replaced the fuel pump relay but it made no difference. sometimes it starts normal but sometimes I have to hold the accelerator to the floor
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Does this hard start occur every time you start it or only after it has sat for some time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens most of the time especially after I shut it off then restart after a few minutes. Like when I go into a store. Sometimes if I let the fuel pump cycle for the 4 seconds first then it will start properly but not always
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Most of the time this is caused by a failing crank position sensor. This sensor can fail and cause strange readings when the truck is first started. It can also be the fuel pump but that is not as likely.