Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

03 gmc with 5.3 has squeeking engine noise

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a serpentine belt. Has that been replaced? they can make a noise from a constant chirping sound to a terrible squeal. when increasing engine RPM, can get much worse, or go away completely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not belts or pulleys it's internal

is it a constant noise? or more like a chirping sound?

Can you remove the belt and run the engine to make sure it's not the water pump or the alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's constant a squeeking speeds up and slows down with the throttle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already done that it's internal

Could also be an intake air leak, or a vacuum leak. Is it running any differently? is the CEL on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs fine no misses, not sure what cell is

CEL is check engine light. Wondering if your fuel trims are high indicating an intake leak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no codes

alright. I'll let somebody else have a shot at it. Hopefully somebody here has seen this before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Big help this was, thanks for nothing
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

First of all your deposit has not been applied to the previous expert.. he was not able to help so he opened it to other experts so you get the best service possible. You say big help this was as if the helping is over.

If the noise is still there with the belt removed and there are no codes in the computer it sounds like its bad bearings. Sometimes when a bearing first starts making noise it can be interpreted as a squeaking. I cant hear the noise so I have to go on your description. Are you willing to try to describe in better detail what you are hearing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how else to describe it sounds like a squeek speeds up and slows down with throttle oil pressure is good still runs good gas mileage is unchanged has run for about 100 miles since the noise started

Can you use a mechanics stethescope (or a long section of vacuum hose or something) and listen around and see if you can narrow down what area of the engine the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only place that I can here it with a stethoscope is the center of oil pan but it's not very loud there

I assume you checked the valve covers and timing cover in various spots?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every where I could

If you had to guess would you guess the noise is happening at about every revolution of the engine or half the engine speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably about half or a little less

OK. It is most likely valve noise. I am attaching a TSB that will give you tons of information on valve noises in these engines.