Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My 2006 Envoy Denali XL just started displaying the "Stop

Customer Question

My 2006 Envoy Denali XL just started displaying the "Stop Engine, Oil Pressure Low" but my Engine Oil Life reads 66%. I added a quart of oil just to be safe. The message displays for a few minutes and then goes off again. What is causing this?
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

First, point of clarification: oil life and oil pressure are two different things. Oil life is simply a calculated number to give you an idea of when you should change your engine oil. Oil PRESSURE is a real time indicator, if you have no oil pressure in the engine, you risk very immediate and very thorough engine damage.

The first important step for your mechanic is to verify whether there is actually an oil pressure problem, or just a problem with the oil pressure sensor. He would do this by attaching a mechanical, handheld gauge to see what the actual oil pressure is. Assuming the pressure is good (I would make this assumption, it's not common to lose oil pressure), your truck probably needs a new oil pressure sensor. You might even opt to just go buy one and install it, to "try" it to see if that solves the problem. But be forewarned the low oil pressure is a very serious potential problem ($$$).

The check engine light may or may not be related to this. The oil pressure sensor sends data to the engine computer, which translates it and tells the gauge what to read. If the oil pressure sensor is deemed faulty by the engine computer, you may have a light on the dash to reflect this. However, the light can be caused by dozens of other issues, so proper diagnosis (with a scan tool) is necessary to determine whether it's related or not.