FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

2002 s10 4.3 oil pressure gauge speedometer rpm voltmeter

Customer Question

2002 s10 4.3 oil pressure gauge speedometer rpm voltmeter and where it shows the gears are not working
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Did all of these fail at the exact same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery went dead while installing fog lights and boosted truck and let it run to charge back up and noticed all that stuff was not work
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Last question. When you jumped the truck do you possibly accidentally touch the cables backwards at any point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we didn't and I Unhooked the positive terminal while it was running to attach the wire and fuse to the fog lights and the vehicle stayed running so I know alternator is good. It still seems like a fuse to me put I pulled them all and checked and they looked good but I didn't take a meter and make sure there was continuity just trusted the eye
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. In the interior fuse box these are the fuses that need to be checked as they provide various power to the cluster. I would not only check the visually but also for battery voltage. They are cruise, gauges, clstr, rdo, ctsy, rdo ign and illum. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok might be a day or 2 it's my father in laws truck
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. It sounds like one of these fuses are blown or maybe has a bad connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They Should carry around 12 to 14 v for all of them right?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Yes, these should have the same voltage as the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologize for the long time in between responses was on evening shift and had to work late all week all fuseS check out with meter and got around 12 volts on everyone u told me to check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should I go next
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The next place to check is the ground on the back of the engine. The ground may be loose or corroded. If these are fine then you may have an issue with connection at the fuse box under the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Just curious can a cluster go out like that and if so how could you test one. Cause what gets me about it all was it all happened at once and we didn't tug or pull any wires we did blow a fuse while hooking them up because someone had them rigged up pretty poorly and I redid the whole setup.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that it went out, but that is not too common on this truck. Did you splice into anything while doing the fog lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the original hook up had the power wire wrapped around a fuse in the fuse box then to toggle switch and lights. While taking them out we blowed a fuse and replaced it. I then went from the battery into a fuse holder to the toggle switch and the power out to lights.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Which fuse actually blew?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can't remember the fuse the wire was attached to was a 25 amp which was the only one in the panel but the one that blew was to the left of it a block or 2 and was a 15 or 10 other than that I can't give us anything
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

That could have steered us in the right direction. There is another ground under the passenger side of the dash near the kick panel that can affect these systems. I would check this. If it is fine then you will need a scan tool that communicates with the truck to see if the cluster is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the scan tools at advance auto do that or does it have to be hooked up the one of the computers at a repair shop or dealer
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If they have a higher end scan tool then they may be able to. I have seen a few parts stores with them, but it usually has to be done at a shop. I really do not think that it is the cluster though.