Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

2006 H3 crank no start has fuel has spark fuel pressure 60

Customer Question

2006 H3 crank no start has fuel has spark fuel pressure 60 no security lights on
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

Have you checked any fuses to see if any are blown at all?

Do you have a multi meter or test light to test with?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all fuses and relays good
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is the 60 psi holding while cranking or holding above 55 psi while cranking over the engine?

Do you have a test light or multi meter to test with?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 60 psi is holding and while cranking yes have test light
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you access one of the fuel injector electrical connections and disconnect one of the connectors at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,locate the two wires in the connector.One of the two wires will be pink and this wire should have battery voltage on it (at or near 12 volts) with the key on.The other wire is the ground pulse wire from the PCM (engine computer).If you have power on the pink wire next connect your test light clamp to the positive post on the battery.Then probe the opposite wire in the connector while someone is cranking over the engine and see if your test light blinks rapidly.It may be dim but it should blink rapidly.Let me know what you come up with here.The pink wire is fed power from the INJ fuse #23 in the under hood fuse box.If you have no power at this fuse with the key on let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power to pink but black worried does bliink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black wire does blink no pink wire power
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with no power to the pink check the INJ fuse 23 (15 amp fuse) in the under hood fuse box and double check that it has power and that it isn't blown.Test pne of the terminals this fuse plugs into for power with the key on.If the fuse is found blown it needs replaced.If found o.k. let me know if you have power on this fuse at all with the key on.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink wire no power black does blink when connected to positive battery post
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,did you get my post above on this at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry pink wire now does power and black does blink
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you find an issue that was causing no power on the pink wire and does the vehicle now start and run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wire on my test light fell off my fault after putting it on the pink has power and black does blink still cranks but to start
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,so when you spray starting fluid into the intake does it run then and stay running at all or while spraying the starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only when spraying as soon as you stop spraying it dies
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,have you checked the fuel for any contamination at all like diesel mixed in with it or any other contaminants like water,etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drained some fuel out of it and it looks clean and seems ok
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

How do the spark plugs look are they wet or contaminated at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure haven't taken them out
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is definitely an odd issue here since you have fuel,fuel pressure,spark and injector pulses and it runs on starting fluid.

Disconnect the engine coolant temp sensor and see if it starts and runs then and let me know.(this may set a fault code turning on the check engine light with the code needing cleared out with a scan tool after this is done).

One other thing is try holding your foot to the floor on the gas pedal with the key on,then crank over the engine with your foot to the floor on the pedal and see if the engine then starts and runs.If it does release your foot from the pedal immediately.

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried gas pedel trick it did nothing will try temp sensor
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know how this turns out.One other thing if this doesn't work,with the key out try unplugging the mass air flow sensor then turn on the key and see if it starts then and let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
weird now no fuel I think the safety anti theft kicked on the light is now on the dash. ill have to wait 10-15 min to see if it turns off
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is this no fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep no pressure now had 60 before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hate this *^%$ hummer!!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok your security system won't disable the fuel pump but a code may have set when the coolant sensor was unplugged which may have disabled the pump.Did you disconnect the coolant sensor yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to double check the fuel first then noticed no fuel coming out
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hmm..this is odd.I wonder if you had residual fuel pressure but the main reason the vehicle will not start is because there is no pressure or volume.I have also seen fuel pressure test gauges read incorrectly and all along you may not have had fuel pressure or not enough pressure.The most common cause for a no start on this model here is a weak or faulty fuel pump.To see if the pump is the cause the power and ground will need tested at the pump itself.If you have power and ground (the first two seconds you turn on the key) but no pressure the pump needs replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel pump was working fine I flushed out some gas before the pressure test and the gas was shooting out great and then the test showed 60
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was about an hour ago now no fuel ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just checked the fuses for the fuel pump OK
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear the fuel pump relay click on at all the first two seconds the key is switched on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the relay did click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the test light to the fuel pump fuse with the ignition on and there is no power to the fuse
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,did you test this fuse for power the first two seconds the key was on as it will only have power the first two seconds then it will have power again when cranking over the engine after a few seconds.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I did not ill try again now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tested fuse 3..... turned ignition off waited a few seconds turned on ignition while partner held test light on fuse 3 no light.... cranked engine while he held test light no light on test light... changed fuse and same happened
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Let me look at a diagram real quick on this be right back.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the fuel pump relay powers the fuel pump fuse.To make sure was it the fuel pump relay that is clicking with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had my finger on relay felt it click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light of a car and a lock are still on dash .. I thought the hummer would not start with that light on .... turn on ignition and the engine light is on battery light is on and the key and car light is on
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,remove the relay keeping in mind which way the relay is seated.You will see four terminals this relay plugged into.Test the terminals below to see if you have these signals and let me know.

One terminal should have power at all times key on or off

One should have a ground signal at all times

One should have a power signal only with the key on the first two seconds.

Let me know what you have here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Reply when your ready

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is ground signal at all time? the one did have power with key out the other when ignition turned on not sure about the ground signal
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

A ground signal all of the time would have ground with the key on or off on one of the terminals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has ground signal
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

So to be sure I hear this correctly you have ground all of the time at at one terminal (check two to see if you have ground on two) and power all of the time on one terminal with the key off and then power on another terminal when the key is switched on the first two seconds am I correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep just like you discribe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ground on two
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This should then power the fuse up.If you have no power to the fuse at all with the relay installed with the key on the first two seconds but the relay signals are all good this sounds like a fault with the wiring in the under hood fuse box and may be the cause for all of the issues here.I have seen in some cases broken wiring in the under hood fuse panel as well as rodent damage to the wiring cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck did sit for a few months and I did notice what appeared to be nuts or type of nest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I blew it away with compressor not thinking to much about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know why the pump was working fine a couple hours ago though
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It may have been movement in the vehicle or under the hood that may have caused a poor wire connection issue.I would check and see if you see any wiring issues needing repaired in the fuse panel area.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will check now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,I won't be on line much longer today but I will wait and see what your response is here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no wires seem damaged at all everything in the truck works fine. radio, lights, onstar etc. checked that number 3 fuse again with test light ...... when turning on ignition held the test light on fuse 3 nothing happened.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Try tapping on the relay and see if this gets power back to your fuel pump again.In some cases the relay can click but it may not engage fully to provide power.Or if you have another same part number relay in the fuse box (make sure it is the same part number) try swapping it out and see if it starts then.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing same
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is a tough one for me to answer myself here.I will have to see if anyone else here can help more on this and I apologize for that but maybe someone else here has more info to help further on this.I will opt out.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the help let me know if there is anything else I can do...... I guess a tow to the dealer is a good idea
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.With this type of issue on your vehicle here as difficult as it is to fully diagnose from here it may be a good idea to have a repair facility or dealer look into the issue to locate the fault.Then you can decide if you want to repair the fault or allow the repair facility or dealer to repair it.

Thanks Pete