Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

All brakes replaced front end checked, new calipers front

Customer Question

All brakes replaced front end checked, new calipers front and back. Still pulls right with hard braking. 2006 savana 3500 extended diesel. Any ideas my mechanic is stumped. Thanks for your help. Jake.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

all 4 new calipers and hoses and rotors ?

how bad will it pull ?

has the 4 wheel ABS been touched yet ?

was all that work done to correct this issue ?

nothing was done at all to where now you have this problem ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All work done for this issue. Front bearing assemblies replaced due to bearing failure. That has some abs parts in that assembly I think. If that's what you mean. Pull bad enough to pull you off the road on heavy breaking. Sometimes not at all. 80% consistent pull. Noticeable pad wear rear left today so calipers changed in the rear and rotors by liscenced mechanic. None of the work done by me personally.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with everything new all rotors and calipers and hoses and it still does this the issue should not be the hydro-booster but more so a fluid difference at the wheels which would cause a pull

if the ABS electrical connector is unplugged off the ABS unit will it still do this ?

if it does the only thing left with everything you said new and assuming no kinked or damaged metal brake lines is the ABS hydrolic unit assembly as the proportion valve and metering for the fluid to the wheels is all done inside that unit and it would need to be changed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I unplug that myself & safely test. What is procedure. Is this a common failure for GM. 126000 miles. Well matained work van. If I find a problem I get it fixed right away. I want a real digonosis. I'm tired of changing parts. 1000$ today for no difference. You know what I'm saying I think. Jake.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes you can unplug it yourself and it will drive normal just NO abs will work if you need abs on the road test

internally some debris can stick a valve or two or a week spring on one of the valves can cause this issue

it is not very common but we have seen this issue before

the only true was to be 100 % sure is to find an older shop that might still have a brake pressure tester to test the pressure at each wheel

but most of the time you are down to you have eliminated everything but the ABS unit

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?