Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I was driving my 2003 GMC and it stalled when I went to

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** was driving my 2003 GMC and it stalled when I went to start it again it won't crank wait a few minutes and tried again started right up but stalled in 10 second then no cranking
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

at all times did the engine physically crank over and just not fire up ? or it would not physically crank over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no cranking now this morning when I tried it it started right up ran for about10seconds and stalled. Now no cranking again
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the battery good and the battery cables clean and tight ?

when holding the key to crank with your fingers on the starter relay in the under hood fuse box do you feel that relay click with your fingers every time the key is held to crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cables clean grounds on frame clean I have switched fuses around had starter checked
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

when holding the key to crank does the purple wire at the starter show 12 volts when holding the key to crank position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried that I live alone no help
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

that is what has to be done next

we have to see if the starter is being told to work or not to know which direction to go with this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the starter have to do with it running
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it will not crank over at all we have to go after why it will not as that issue is more than likely related to the running issue

i am going to opt out and open this up to the other experts

another expert will reply back to you

Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here.
You are confusing cranking with running.
When you say it wont crank. We as mechanics take that as the starter will not CRANK the engine...you know like SPIN the engine....you think that IT WONT CRANK means the same as it wont fire up and start right?
Wrong....
NO CRANK= starter does not engage. Got it?
So now, what is it not doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Listen if you have read my first question I said it won't crank now but after it happen I did let it sit and turned the key it started and stalled and now no cranking got it
now the starter will NOT engage correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
First thing to check is for power to the purple wire at the starter solenoid.
If it has power with key in crank position then the starter has a hot spot and usually a good whack with a hammer will get the armature inside to move a bit past the hot spot.....usually works but the starter will need replaced because it will happen again.
As for it stalling,,,thats into another area..sounds like compound issues. And most likelyits the fuel pump not making enough pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what so confusing about it it ran good then all this I don't wanna replace the starter after it was checked out good and then find out its something Else
I completely understand Dave.
Most likely the fuel pump failed and all the cranking took its hold on the starter....thats the bot***** *****ne and when you have compound problems its real easy to throw you off track :-) Believe me, i see it almost every day in the shop.
Its gonna take a starter to start with (no pun intended..lol) and then have the fuel pressure tested.
Be sure to try the hammer trick
Best wishes my friend!
LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks LJ for you trying to help I'm just gonna send it to the shop so I'm not buying things I don't need
You are most welcome Dave.
I can sure understand your thoughts on this and is a good idea. I just really wanted to try and help as much as i could.
Take care my friend!
Larry
If you feel i have been helpful at all please consider leaving me a good rating. Thanks again bud,.