GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 4.8 getting P069E and P023F codes.

Customer Question

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 4.8 getting P069E and P023F codes. It is intermitant when it happens the truck wont start. I erased the errors and the truck started 60 miles later it happened again.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name pleasE?

P069E is a code saying there are codes stored in the fuel module. P023F is the code to chase. Below is some information for you to review. Its likely a bad fuel pump, but it worth checking the wiring.

DTC P0231, P0232, or P023F

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors

DTC P0231

Fuel Pump Control Circuit Low Voltage

DTC P0232

Fuel Pump Control Circuit High Voltage

DTC P023F

Fuel Pump Control Circuit

Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit

Short to Ground

Open/High Resistance

Short to Voltage

Signal Performance

Fuel Pump High Control

P0231

P023F

P0232

P023F, P2635

Fuel Pump Low Control

P023F

P023F, P2635

Circuit/System Description

The engine control module (ECM) supplies voltage to the fuel pump flow control module (FPCM) when the ECM detects that the ignition is on. The voltage from the ECM to the FPCM remains active for 2 seconds, unless the engine is in crank or run. While this voltage is being received, the FPCM supplies a varying voltage to the fuel tank pump module in order to maintain the desired fuel rail pressure.

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0231, P023F

The ignition voltage is between 9–18 V

P0232

The control enable voltage signal supplied for the ECM to FPCM is inactive for 4 seconds after engine has been shut off.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The FPCM detects a fault on the fuel pump voltage circuit that is above or below a predetermined voltage threshold.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0231, P0232, and P023F are Type A DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

Diagnostic Aids

Using the Failure Records data may help locate an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information in the Failure Records can help determine how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can help determine how many ignition cycles that the diagnostic test reported a pass and/or a fail.

Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation

Fuel System Description

Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing

Connector Repairs

Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

Wiring Repairs

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

Ignition ON, command the fuel pump ON and OFF using the scan tool ECM fuel pump output control. The fuel pump should turn ON and OFF.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the fuel pump.
  2. Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal D and ground.
  3. Ignition ON, command the ECM or FPCM fuel pump ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF as commanded.
  4. If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the FPCM.
  5. If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the FPCM.
  6. Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal A and the control circuit terminal D.
  7. Ignition ON, command the fuel pump ON using a scan tool. The test lamp should illuminate.
  8. If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the control circuit terminal A for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the FPCM.
  9. If all circuits test normal, perform the Fuel System Diagnosis to verify proper fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Rick

Hi Rick, did you have a moment to go through the information I posted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a few moments now.

Ok, did you read through what I posted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know where the grond point is for FPCM? Why does mine have FSCM printed on it? It is locataded above the spare tire. I tapped it and the truck started but it has happened again.

Wait a second, what is your VIN, you may be under some special policy or recall for that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN 1GTEC14C98Z90136

There is a number missing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN 1GTEC14C98Z901396
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get a list of all recalls for my GMC?

You have one open recall, but its to program the ECM, so not related. IF you can move or tap the wiring or module above the tire for the fuel pump and it works then you have a bad connection there or more than likely a faulty module. They are a common failing point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not god that it it is common problem. I all most got rearended in rush hour traffic when it happened. I guess I will start there it is $101.47 @ GMPartsOutlet.net

YEs but you will need to have it programmed to work. ITs not a plug and play unit unless they send it programmed to your vehicle.

Changing it is very easy though.