Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I just purchased a brand new GMC 1500 and the trans got

Customer Question

I just purchased a brand new GMC 1500 and the trans got stuck in 3rd gear and I would not shift the 8 speed is being replaced and the original is being sent back to home office.
Is the a common problem with the new 8 speed trans?
Is shipping the whole trams back to head office common practise?
This update all reeks to me. I had the truck less than 24 hours and put about 20 kilometres on it before this happen
Thank you
Category: GM
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is not common but its too new of a transmission to have common problems yet. The reason they are sending it back is for the engineers to dismantle it and see what went wrong . This is common practice on newer major parts. Its how they develop recalls, tsbs, and updates as well as make sure if it is a common issue the next release is updated to avoid the problem.

It could be as simple as a one off problem on the assembly line but the engineers want to know for sure.