GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

GM s10: I bought a 350 v8 and 350 turbo transmission from jeg's

Customer Question

I bought a 350 v8 and 350 turbo transmission from jeg's to put in a 1987 S10 I am restoring for someone. The engine was such a pain to get in the truck. The truck only has about 30 miles in it and now I'm noticing transmission fluid leaking. It's not just a little drop, its a puddle after a week or so. I looked under it and the lines or dipstick seem to be clean and it appears to be coming from the dust cover. I hate to even think about taking the engine back out. What could it be and is there any chance of stopping this leak without removal?
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I would be talking to Jeg's.It sounds like the torque converter seal leaking.Did you or they fit the convertor?Would it be easier to pull the transmission out?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The converter was on it when I got it. No way to get it out without the whole engine coming out. The bell housing is against the firewall. I had rather be beaten than try to take it back out, lol.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I feel your pain.I'd say you'll be pulling the whole lot out.Having said that, can you redesign the installation so you can pull the trans out in the future?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The seal didn't leak to start with and it was all brand new. I can't believe it would be worn out. I have to pull the dust cover and look but there is so much, it would seem likely it could be the pan gasket right in the center.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,You could be lucky, it might be the pan gasket.I'd checked the torque of the pan gasket bolts, wash off the excess, remove the dust cover and run the engine again for a period to see if that is where it is coming from. Cross my fingers for you.Gary