GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Just converted a 91 c1500 4.6 v6 to R134a. The clutch will

Customer Question

Just converted a 91 c1500 4.6 v6 to R134a. The clutch will only engage w/jumper wire or when defrost is turned on. Pressures are in normal range???
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
The compressor doesn't engage when you try to run the AC? But the compressor runs when you put it on defrost? Are you sure you're hitting the AC button? I know it sounds silly, but I have to cover the obvious parts first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, The AC indicator comes on when I pressthe blue button. I have 28# ***** the low side & 270# ***** the high side when using the jumper wire. It cycles on & off on about 15 sec. intervals when on defrost Let me know if you need more info. Thanks. Jim H.
Did you change the low pressure switch or anything like that? Does the compressor engage if you jumper the low pressure switch connector?