FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

GM Silverado: 2005 5.3l Silverado. When I'm in stop and go

Customer Question

2005 5.3l Silverado. When I'm in stop and go traffic with the a/c off the engine temperature begins to climb to about 230*f. If I turn the a/c on the temperature will drop back down just below 210*f. Should'nt it remain at 210*f?
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if your model is equipped with an electric fan or an engine driven fan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electric fan
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds like the fan is not coming on when the engine warms up. It comes on when the a/c is turned on. Allow the engine to warm up and see if the fan kicks on. If not then you will need to diagnose the circuit to see if it is a relay or a control issue. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Then see if the fan is acting like I mentioned. If the fan is not coming on when the engine gets hot then if you have a voltage meter we can continue.