FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

GM C7500: Warning lights came on, what is it?

Customer Question

Warning lights came on, what is it?
Category: GM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights that came on are two and it also started beeping, the engine light came on and also that one that looks like a gauge with a pointer? Help? I am driving long distance with no shops around, is this serious or what is it? Thanks!!!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Did both of these lights come on at the same time? How is the truck running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes both of those lights came on at the same time. The truck lost a little bit of power. The lights go away but then come back in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now i am parked at a gas station and no warning lights are on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello???
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. Is your truck e
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Is your truck equipped with the 6.6 diesel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a catapillar diesel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure on the 6.6 part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were going uphill quite a bit I dont know if that caused anything?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds like you have an issue with the fuel pressure. You may have a clogged filter or a loss of pressure from the pump. When the check engine light comes on it is shutting down the cruise which is the other light. You need to scan the computer for codes to see what the computer is seeing. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you being me the codes I can tell you what is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With that explain too if oil pressure gauge dropped as well when other lights came on and power was lost on truck??
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If the oil pressure dropped then that may be the main issue. Low oil pressure will affect the way that the fuel system works. Check the oil and make sure it is full and does not appear to be contaminated with water or diesel fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked it, it is not all the way up to the full line, it is just a little bit over halfway...
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
That should still be enough. You are going to need to get the computer scanned for codes.