Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

GM 1992 gmc sierra k1500 extended cab 350.: I have a 1992 gmc

Customer Question

I have a 1992 gmc k1500 sierra truck. I have no spark to my coil. I've changed my icm are module on distributor
. Can it be my ignition switch. I was going down the road and it just died
Pulled it home and it fired up and ran 10 min. Then died. New distribution system and coil. Still no fire.
Category: GM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I think you mean no spark from your coil. Do you have voltage to it with the key on run and start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested it with my voltage light. I get voltage in and out of my coil. But no spark to plugs are voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there brother Mike
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I just got back from my doctor appointment.
No, it wouldn't be the ignition switch if you do have voltage to the coil.
Using a test light on the negative side of the coil, see if the test light flashes when cranking the engine. If not, and I suspect it won't and you have already replaced the ignition control module, then it's possible the pickup coil is bad.
There is a test for that.
To test the pick-up coil, first disconnect the white and green module leads. Set the ohmmeter on the high scale and connect it between a ground and either the white or green lead. Any resistance measurement less than infinity requires replacement of the pick-up coil.
Pick-up coil continuity is tested by connecting the ohmmeter (on low range) between the white and green leads. Normal resistance is between 500 and 1500 ohms.