GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Would it be better to replace a defective waste gate vacuum

Customer Question

Would it be better to replace a defective waste gate vacuum solenoid with another of the same design so the (PCM) remains in control of the boost; or will a mechanical spring loaded waste gate solenoid replacement work as well and what would the trade offs be, if any?
Category: GM
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.In general it will set off the check engine light if you were to use a spring loaded type but what type of vehicle are you working on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1997 Chevrolet P-32 Motorhome Chassi with a 6.5 GM Turbo Diesel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware of the possibility of the code. What I'm more concern with is overheating, reduction in miles per gallon and the potential of engine damage that maybe the PCM could avoid if it is in control rather than some dumb spring. What does the PCM do for me based on it controlling the waste gate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The GM repair manual reads:Description and OperationTurbochargerThe turbocharger is used to increase the amount of air that enters the engine's cylinders. The increase of air flow allows a proportional increase of fuel that is injected into the cylinders. The results are:Increases power output
More complete combustion of the fuel
Cooling of the Cylinder heads, the pistons, the valves, and the exhaust gas. This cooling effect helps extend engine life.It goes on to say:The PCM monitors turbo boost pressure and controls the position of the waste gate valve. More vacuum is applied to the actuator to close the waste gate if increase boost is needed. The vacuum applied to the actuator is reduced if less turbo boost is needed. A reduction in vacuum allows the waste gate valve to open, resulting in additional exhaust gas bypassing the turbine wheel.What I am looking to find out is what function(s) will the PCM suffer if it looses control of the waste gate valve to some dumb spring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyone home?
Im here.
You wont lose any functions of the PCM. You will just make more boost and it will be more predictable. The only negative is the check engine light.