GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a Silverado hd 2007 duramax new body style. I just

Customer Question

I have a Silverado hd 2007 duramax new body style. I just got codes. PO401 and PO101. What can i do and usually how much to fix. I don't want to go to a shop and they tell me some long to fix if it is something like I read below. I also have short trips and long idle times. If it a matter of cleaning something I will take it to a shop. Please help, I am out of town right now and will not be anywhere near my home town for a few months.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
the P0101 is a mass air flow sensor performance code and most often that one is set when the sensor itself is dirty, when the exhaust is plugged, EGR leaking or something like that. ITs not usually an indication that the sensor needs tone changed.
The P0401 is an EGR low flow code. This has the potential to be corrected by a cleaning, but it may also require replacement to correct this.
I would clean the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) with a can of MAF cleaner, check your air filter to see if its dirty and change that and evaluate that first. This you can do on your own. After that we may need to have the EGR cleaned as well, but that takes a scanner and can be delayed a bit if needed.